DID YOU KNOW…
• Head lice can run up to 30 cm per minute (THAT’S 1.8 km per hour)!
• This means that they can rapidly run away and hide when you part your child’s hair to check for head lice.
• So it’s easy to miss a head lice infestation unless there are quite a few lice or eggs.
BUT — you can outwit these speedy little pests!
To catch them out:
1. Saturate the dry hair in hair conditioner, and comb through with an ordinary comb. Any head lice the hair lice in the hair will get “stuck” in the conditioner.
2. Now take the hair in small sections and comb thoroughly with a long-tooth, metal ‘nit’ comb. Continue combing the whole head like this.
3. Keep wiping the comb on a white tissue, as you work, looking for head lice and eggs. A magnifying glass will make this easier.
4. If you find any head lice or eggs, continue combing with the hair conditioner every day, for 10 days to remove all head lice.
5. Rinse the hair conditioner off when combing is completed.
Sharon Moran, Community Nurse is happy to offer further info, advice or support if you are losing the battle with Head lice. She can be contacted on 9291 1217 (Mon, Tues, Fridays).